Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Push it, Pull it, Dip it, Climb it, Now upside down

Finally purchased a bike helmet on the way home from work, since it appears someone in my family thought that my old helmet looked better in the garbage can. This allowed me to try actually biking around brooklyn, which makes me feel like I did when I first started to drive in Manhattan. Anything can happan at any time for any reason and most of it can kill or maim you. Given all of the stupid shit that people do on the streets of New York, I wasn't looking forward to this, especially on a bike that I don't trust to shift gears on. However, after finding out that a entry level mountain bike with no real features, costs about $1,600, I have decided to make due for the time being.

Once I got to the gym, somewhat behind schedule, I almost immediately dropped into this workout:

75 pushups
95# sumo deadlift high pull
50 jumping ring dips
30 pullups with an 8Kg kettlebell around my hips
25 pike pushups on a high plyo box (think of putting you feet on a box, hands on floor so that your hips are directly above your head and then doing a pushup so the floor will touch the top of your head. It is sub for a handstand pushup)

I finished in 25:22 and my hamstrings didn't seem to hold me back too much. I was happy with both my pace and my time, although it was definitely a workout that demands much more arm strength than I have. The actual workout requires: normal ring dips, 40 pounds on the pull up (I only used about 20) and full on Handstand pushups. One of the guys at my gym finished the full workout in sub-19 min. I love CF, but it is often humbling.

Speaking of which, because I left Into the Wild at the girlfriend's apartment, I started reading Into Thin Air, a book by the same guy about his 1996 climb up Everest that left 8 people dead, including his expedition leader. It is a fascinating and well paced book that gives a first hand account of the trials even an experienced climber undergoes on a guided expedition up Everest, which costs around 65K a head. The first person perspective makes the book much more intriguing and some of the visuals are astounding, particularly the passage that describes passing a 10-15 year old frozen corpse as the expedition leaves Base Camp. I would definitely recommend it for those interested in mountaineering or adventure reading.

Today's workout looks to be a rowing/burpee pyramid. Will probably be glad for a rest day on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice workout, shit i m starting t feel really guilty for only running! i have to get on the ball here - seems like i am in a rut

book sounds great, pass it on when your done

Kurt said...

Ahh, the SDLHP should say 50 reps. Don't know how to edit the posts yet.

The latest rotation of WoD's has been great. Good mix of strength and met-con. I finished Into Thin Air and will try to remember to bring it out on Saturday. It is a fast read and pretty gripping once they start climbing everest.

Don't feel too bad about your running. My guess is your pacing is much faster than mine. I am usually just barely jogging after a hard workout. It is good for mental discipline, but I doubt it does much for cardiovascular endurance.